Skip to main content

From Hobby Writing to Author





With this research, there were techniques that worked and quite a few that were a waste of time. There's so much information and it can be overwhelming to find what you need and steps to get started. Here are 9 Tips that I used to help me on my journey to becoming a published author.


Tip 1 - Know Your Audience

If you're writing for a hobby, continue to write and journal and let it all out. However, if you are writing to become published, you must know your audience. Questions I ask myself when starting a project: What’s their demographics? Who will this impact? What will they learn? Why do they need it?


Tip 2 – Know Your Genre

Knowing your genre is just as important as knowing your audience. You need to study the genre you want to write. It will make things easier for you and keep your audience happy!


Tip 3 - Write and Write Some More

Writing is a skill that gets better with time and practice. The more you write, the better you'll become. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, they help you learn.

Tip 4 - Start a Blog

Blogs are a great way to start your fan base, long before your book is created. If you have a strong following in the beginning, it will be easy to get your book in front of your audience and we all know the importance of word of mouth!


Tip 5 - You Must Have Thick Skin

You must be prepared for rejection. You must be prepared for criticism, sometimes harsh criticism. You must be prepared to know that not all your "writer friends" will like your writing. As a matter of fact, writers are the worse critics.

Tip 6 – Don’t Be Cheap, Invest in Your Book

Transitioning from writer to author results in a mindset change. You must go from being a hobbyist to starting a business. Oh, you didn't know? Yes, being an author is a business. If you want to be successful, you must invest in your business.
  
Tip 7 – Quality Over Quantity is Important

This goes with step six. If you want your work to be taken seriously, you must put in the time and effort to produce quality work. This may require paying a little more for that editor for your manuscript or illustrator for your book cover. First impressions are important, and your book is your first impression.

Tip 8 – Choose Your Publishing Option

There is a debate with authors about whether one should self-publish or go through a traditional publisher. There is no right or wrong answer. It is a matter of preference. However, it is helpful to know the pros and cons of both platforms. Do your research to see which option is the right one for you.

Tip 9 – Create a Marketing Plan

This is a step that many authors do not budget for. They write a book, publish it and are confused as to why they are not receiving sales. I feel that creating a marketing plan, is just as important as creating a business plan. Do not rush this process. Create your plans (marketing and business) so you can get the results you worked hard for.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author in the Spotlight - Grahame Peace

The next author in the spotlight, 6 - Time Author, Grahame Peace. With his latest book, A Journey into Fashion: The Dressing Room. TW : What is your writing process? GP : I am disciplined in terms of how I write; I write most days for several hours. I also, do a lot of research for my books in terms of facts and history; although my books are fiction and fantasy, I want them to be as historically and factually accurate as possible. TW : How difficult was it to write your story? GP : I’m currently working on my seventh book, which is the fifth in my Ghost from the Molly-House series. Each book in the series gets harder to write in terms of coming up with new ideas. That’s why historical research is so important; it often drives the concept for a new story or stories. My stories are set in different time periods, places, and countries. TW : What is your hope for this project? GP : Hopes? That people will like it, enjoy it, spread word of my work, and want to read th

Author's Spotlight - Sharika K. Forde

Our next Author in the Spotlight is Sharika K. Forde, author of The Awakening! T W : W h at  is your writing process?  SKF : I have two different styles of writing. Sometimes a title will come to me and I will write a poem from that. The other is when a couple of sentences will come to my mind then I will jot them down and continue the flow. The second style normally is the easiest one for me to write from. T W :  How difficult was it to write your story? SKF : The Awakening Book of Poems wasn’t difficult for me to write because all of my poems come from emotions or experiences I’ve gone through. The difficult part was publishing it and putting it all out there for the world to see. It took years for me to build up my confidence to share it. T W :  What are your  hopes for this project? SKF : There’s a quote from me on the back of my back, it states “Everyone has a story. Some tell theirs through songs. Others through jokes. Mine is through poetry”. My hopes are tha

Author in the Spotlight - Kami Love

Our next Spotlight is Child Author, Kami Love, author of Kami's Spa Party. TW : What is your writing process? KL : My writing process begins with prayer, followed by my headphones and different music to get my creativity flowing. TW : How difficult was it to write your story? KL : It was not difficult at all! TW : What are your hopes for this project? KL : Joy, I also hope for more speaking opportunities. TW : Do have plans for writing more books? KL : Yes, I have plans to write at least two more stories. TW : What is your favorite genre of books and do you plan on venturing in those areas? KL : Fiction, this book is in my favorite genre. TW : What do you want readers to know about you? KL : I am very cool and very smart. TW : Do you have a favorite author or book? KL : My favorite book is Arthur. TW : What is the most difficult part of your artistic process? KL : The most difficult part was publishing and editing. TW : How has